This warm and comforting stew is great for cold weather.
Ingredients for 4 to 6
1 tbsp cold pressed coconut oil, ghee or olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped or 1 tsp ground
2 tbsp fresh turmeric, finely chopped or 1 tsp ground
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper or more to taste
3,5 cups / 800 ml canned plum tomatoes
1/2 cup / 125 ml uncooked red lentils, rinsed
2 cups / 500 ml water
1 tsp coarse sea salt
1 broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
1 fennel, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, cut into bite-size pieces
1 handful green beans
1 cup / 400 ml cooked butter beans
fresh coriander/cilantro, chopped
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan and add chopped onion and garlic. Lower the heat and cook for a few minutes until the onions have softened.
2. Add ginger, turmeric, cayenne and stir, ensuring that they do not burn.
3. When the spices smell fragrant, add tomatoes, lentils, water and salt. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Stir in all the vegetables and cook for another 8-10 minutes.
5. Add the cooked beans toward the end of the cooking time.
6. Serve in bowls with a dollop of yogurt and fresh coriander/cilantro. This dish can also be served with brown, black or red rice, if you prefer.